Wednesday, May 20, 2009

One Fine Day

photographer: Hann

Back in April, I was watching this Singaporean series called Little Nyonya. As the name Nyonya, the whole series is recording the lifestyle, custom, and Nyonya food of a Nyonya family. According to the series, a Nyonya should always spend their time in the kitchen. Somehow, it's important to have a good cooking skill (to cook Nyonya food, of course) as well as crafting skill like embroidery and beading (bead shoes). Well, what's attract me the most is the Nyonya food itself. The director captured alot of the scenes in the kitchen where the Nyonya food is prepared. I felt hungry especially I watch this at night, not to mention craving.

Thus, I decided to make this kuih Nyonya called Kuih Dadar. Recipe extracted from Amy Beh cook book. I made this before at home when I was in secondary. During that time, mama was beside me and give instruction on what to do and she even prepared the grated coconut ready for me. Now, I do it myself from scratch. Surprisingly, it turns up to be quite ok. It wasn't that hard though. I follow extactly the recipe and the end product received quite good comment. Too sad to say that, I forgot to take picture of the end product. Recipe can be found here.

No comments: